Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Bachelorette

Despite the fact that Reality Steve knows all the spoilers before the season's even begun (seriously, read his blog) and the fact that the show is absolutely, totally fake and (if it were real) totally scary in what it says about relationships and dating, I love The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I only wish they didn't whittle down through the people so quickly, because even though I hate most of them, I looooove drinking a beer alone an a weeknight and judging people who are out their living their lives while I wear my pajamas and try to finish the ep before C gets home. :-)

This is the week that I was kind of disappointed that Kasey got sent home, because he seriously has a mental disorder and is one of the scariest people I have seen in a long time. The bachelorette, Ali, told him that most of what he said was cheesy and came off as insincere, and that he just needed to be himself and not be so over the top. Of course he was "devastated" that she would question his "sincerity, [his] emotions, and [his] genuine heart," but he eventually realized that he did need to back off...

So he got a tattoo. On his wrist. Of a shield guarding a heart and a rose (the rose being the longtime symbol of the show). Because, as he's told her 5,000 times at least at this pont, he's there "to guard and protect [her] heart." Gag. I would've told him a long time ago that I can guard and protect my own heart, thank you very much! But Ali stammered something about being glad he was the way he was, while secretly telling the confessional "all he had to to was be normal" and cut him from the competition in the most dramatic way possible - stranding him on a glacier next to an erupting volcano in Iceland. Awesome. I know what the next twist is going to be already (thanks, Reality Steve!) and I can't wait because...duh duh duh...it involves the guy she didn't cut on the two-on-one where Kasey revealed his ink.

Oh, how I wish the show was on every day...I also wish that there was a channel out there that showed the reruns. Come on, We TV, step it up! The ladies are dying for it.

5 comments:

  1. Kasey is one of the more amusing participants to ever grace the Bachelor franchise. I didn't find him creepy at all--just pathetically sincere and dopey. But, man, those lines--he should write for Hallmark--are just too funny. Where the hell does he get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fine with him until he started saying things like "the physical pain is nothing, the emotional pain is what kills me" - he strikes me as the sort of fellow who will hurt himself or others if he is given the chance for his obsession to really take off. I never heard him say ANYTHING of substance, or anything about his own life or interests, or even anything SPECIFIC about Ali. Weird. But entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They totally framed him to make him look dangerous and creepy. I mean, seriously, they intentionally led us to believe he hurt himself instead of going all Rock of Love style and getting a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My geek confession: when I'm done with my diss, I want nothing more than to write an article about the Bachelor(ette). To drink beer and make fun of people and call it research sounds like perfection to me, lol. If I ever do move up there, we'll have to have Bachelor nights--because it's always more fun to judge people with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, I'll have to send you a copy of the article I wrote about reality tv that was published in an edited collection. I think I briefly mention the time I dragged Dalyn to a bar in Carlsbad, CA that was known to be frequented by Sadie, one of the contestants in the season of "Prince" Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete